12.14.2011

sundays with grandpa moon are the best.

two weeks ago we went up to malad idaho to surprise my grandpa. we went to church with him and my nieces and their friend played their violins for the prelude and it was beautiful. the whole meeting a sweet spirit filled the room and i was filled with gratitude for my family, the gospel, and the blessings that come from those two things.

afterwards we headed back to his home and ate a delicious brunch and just talked and enjoyed each others company.
or to be more accurate, i took pictures as everyone else talked (but i still enjoyed their company).
my cute aunt had a date with this nice guy dave to the left and to the right would be those parents i love so much.
i wish i had more pictures with grandpa as a child so i do my best to take pictures of him with his great grandkids. his interactions with them are always the sweetest.
aaaand i guess janie was done sitting on his lap
lately i'm on this ijustneedtotakepicturesofpeopledoingreallifethings and also ineedtotakepicturesofthedetailsthatwon'talwaysbearound kick because i'm realizing more and more that life changes quickly and i just want to document the moments or things that won't always be there.
like there are so many things we don't think to photograph because it isn't out of the ordinary. for example i was just told that the great red fireplace in my cabin was taken out this week and they are replacing the best red shag carpet. i so wish i took a picture of the whole room so i could remember how it looked before everything is changed but i don't think i did because i didn't think it would ever change. do you see what i'm saying?  i digress.
anyway. these are my grandpa's trees. he LOVES his trees.
he also has a great pink one but sadly didn't put it out this year.
toddler janie who absolutely would not share that toy with her sister
sometimes my niece is taller than me. we've known this for awhile but felt it should be documented.
lilly's face makes me laugh
speaking of lilly, i love her. we are both the youngest child of families of seven kids and i was there when she was born so i just feel this special little connection with her and wish i could put her in my pocket and have her with me always. thanks to emmy (and kevin) for taking my camera every so often that day. sometimes it is nice to know i was there too haha
janie and kloe are realllly good at smiling

and by good i mean they (or at least janie) hated it. the picture above would be her saying
 "don't take a picture of me!" and that wasn't the first time she said those words to me that day

my grandpa moon is the best grandpa ever. i feel i can say this because my other grandpa, my dad's father, died when my dad was nine so i've never had the opportunity to know him. i'm sure if i did know him, i would say the same about him too.
my grandpa was nice and let me take pictures of him for a few minutes.
he has so much character in his face and i wanted to capture every wrinkle, all that hair, his facial expressions, mannerisms, and of course his love for christmas in the background.
my favorite of the day can be found here.

bnotd = my grandpa got new hearing aids! it was so nice to be able to talk to him and feel like he really could hear what i was saying (rather than just pretend to!). and i love how he always stands or walks with his hands behind his back. such a cute grandpa.

all growing up i didn't really like going to idaho, i felt like it was too rural for me and there was nothing to do (so typical of a little kid right?). now that i'm older i love being there and being surrounded with farm equipment, old trucks, his barn, and of course cows.
(and that teepee? i have no idea where that came from but i like it)
as we were about to drive away my mom suggested i take a few pictures of his cows so i jumped out of the car and started snapping. they loved the camera and all kept pushing forward to be seen! okay, i think what really happened is they thought i was going to open the gate but i'm just going to pretend otherwise.
so. many. cows! 

i'm really so happy we had the opportunity to spend such a nice sunday afternoon in idaho.  i know my time with my grandpa is limited and even thought i hate to admit it, one day he won't be here anymore, so i'm really grateful this day happened and i will  cherish it always. aaaand coming home and being able to see the first presidency Christmas devotional was a perfect way to end a perfect day!
i love perfect days.  

6 comments:

brynne frei said...

i love that perfect day too! you looked great, grandpa moon looks like the greatest and this post made me happy.

Becky said...

The Best Day

Jeri said...

Ah Megan, this post is just precious! Just like you. My heart is touched by your pictures and words. You have a wonderful way with both. I will share this with Grandpa, after I wipe away a few tears. Sure love you!

Danielle said...

I will pay money to be as cool as you!

Christine Frandsen said...

Welcome to Malad! Where Idaho begins? ...is that the sign? Something like that. Your grandpa looks like a champ.

a. dancepants said...

Grandpa Moon looks so nice. I love everything about this day.